VARIOUS APPLICATIONS OF THIN LAYER CHROMATOGRAPHY (TLC) ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Purity of any sample: Purity of sample can be carried out with TLC. Direct comparison is done between the sample and the standard or authentic sample; if any impurity is detected, then it shows extra spots and this can be detected easily.
- Identification of compounds: Thin layer chromatography can be employed in purification, isolation and identification of natural products like volatile oil or essential oil, fixed oil, waxes, alkaloids, glycosides, steroids etc.
- Examination of reactions: Reaction mixture can be examined by Thin layer chromatography to access whether the reaction is complete or not. This method is also used in checking other separational processes and purification processes like distillation, molecular distillation etc.
- Biochemical analysis: TLC is extremely useful in isolation or separation of biochemical metabolites or constituent from its body fluids, blood plasma, serum, urine etc.
- In chemistry: TLC methodology is increasingly used in chemistry for the separation and identification of compounds which are closely related to each other. It is also used for identification of cations and anions in inorganic chemistry.
- In pharmaceutical industry: Various pharmacopoeias have adopted TLC technique for detection of impurity in a pharmacopoeial chemical.
- Various medicines like hypnotics, sedatives, anticonvulsant tranquillizers, antihistaminics, analgesics, local anaesthetics, steroids have been tested qualitatively by TLC method.
- One of the most important applications of TLC is in separation of multicomponent pharmaceutical formulations.
- In food and cosmetic industry, TLC method is used for separation and identification of colors, preservatives, sweetening agent, and various cosmetic products.